Finance Director - FESD
by Job Postings
Posted on March 22, 2022
FOWLER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL DISTRICT
Salary: $72,154.00 (Certified) $54,142.00 (Classified)
Job Title: FINANCE DIRECTOR
Classification: Classified or Certified Administrator
Description: The Finance Director oversees, under general direction, the Finance Department, including supervising staff, overseeing the budgetary process, assists in developing the revenue and expenditure budget, preparing required reports and presentations, and staying current and ensuring compliance.
- College degree in Business, Finance or related field preferred
- Three years of finance experience in a district setting
- Demonstrated aptitude and competence for assigned responsibilities
- Ability to perform multiple technical tasks, work independently under broad organizational policies, utilize significant resources from other work units
- Proficiency with spreadsheets, databases and financial software applications
- Knowledge level to perform advanced math, read technical information, compose documents
- Experience in supervision of personnel
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists the Superintendent in coordinating various District financial operations, to include management of bond funds, trust operations, and District financial reporting. Ensures that all federal and state timelines are met in regard to financial reporting for the purpose of compliance.
- Attends various District meetings and committees relating to the District’s Finance Department. Compiles data for negotiations with employee groups for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform functions.
- Collaborates with the Superintendent in order to manage necessary arrangement to hold bond and override elections for the purpose of providing support to essential functions.
- Continues to stay current and provides direction in planning staff development programs for personnel in Finance department to ensure compliance with policies, federal grant guidelines, laws, regulations, or modifications for the purpose of maintaining services and/or programs
- Develops and conducts training for parents, community, departments, grant coordinators and other employee groups on matters related to the District’s Finance procedures and federal and state guidelines for the purpose of meeting District goals.
- Performs monthly cash reconciliation with County Treasurer to ensure proper cash flow for the purpose of essential function of position
- Oversees the Finance department and supervises the Finance staff (e.g., including determining workloads, establishing work schedules, monitoring work performance, recommending new hires and terminations, conducting performance evaluations, performing training functions for the purpose of providing required fiscal guidance and support.
- Provides direction and oversight for the budgetary process and presents the annual expenditure budget to the Governing Board. Keeps the Superintendent informed on District’s finances to include preparing reports and assisting with presentations that are critical to the decision making process for the purpose of support and management.
- Supervises the day-to-day financial affairs of the District, including the accounting and reporting of all funds in accordance with the Uniform System of Financial Records (USFR)
- Monitors budget balances and available cash on a monthly basis.
- Prepares monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports.
- Completes all required forms, applications and evaluations as required by the School Facilities Board and the Arizona Department of Education (for Grant Reporting).
- Prepares reports to the proper staff official concerning the status of their budgetary accounts and to guard against over expenditures of their budgets.
- Maintains financial accounts, business and general fixed asset records as required by statute, Governing Board Policies and the USFR and Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB).
- Manages the District’s insurance programs.
- Ensures all District purchases are made in accordance with the State Procurement Code and Governing Board Policies.
- Arranges for the internal auditing of school accounts and assists external auditors and monitors as needed.
- Performs other duties as may be required and assigned by the Superintendent for the purpose of enhancing productivity of personnel and achieving objectives within budget.
Length of Employment:
- Twelve (12) months
- School calendar will determine the days worked during the school year
Reports to: Superintendent
Evaluation: Performance to be evaluated in accordance with Governing Board Policy GDO